Plunge Router Design Issue


Plunge Router Design Issue

Author
Message
Driven1
View Quick Profile

Forum Guru
Forum Guru (65 reputation)Forum Guru (65 reputation)Forum Guru (65 reputation)Forum Guru (65 reputation)Forum Guru (65 reputation)Forum Guru (65 reputation)Forum Guru (65 reputation)Forum Guru (65 reputation)Forum Guru (65 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 13 Years Ago
Posts: 1, Visits: 2
During the use of my Dremel Plunge Router attachment (which hasn't been more than ten hours at most) I found that the Lock wasn't working sufficiently to hold the router depth. It would slip. Upon further inspection I noticed that the Screw Insert was pulling out of the plastic body cast. I am currently working on building an Electric Guitar body for my son and was using the router to route out the various body cavities. So, looking at the router further to see if I could fix it enough to finish the routing on the guitar, I noticed that the threaded insert is just an "Interference Press Fit."

I've tried super-gluing and epoxying it in place but due to the interference fit, not enough glue/epoxy is able to get into the fit to hold it.

I realize from a manufacturing point of view that this would be the easiest means of installing this part, but from a use point of view, it was doomed to be a failure point for the router.

The insert should have had a heavy lip at the inner end and installed from the inside of the plastic body rather than the outside. This would allow, when locking the depth, for the insert to push on the plastic body, rather than the insert itself, providing a long lasting, positive, locking system.

Right now I'd like a fix for the problem. I won't be able to complete this project without the use of the plunge router. Best would be a replacement Router with the redesigned Depth Lock.



Reading This Topic